Add a Certificate in Data Analysis with your major.
More and more, businesses are in need of data scientists, data analysts, biostatisticians and quantitative analysts. Graduate prepared for these positions with the Certificate in Data Analysis.
Students with this certification will graduate with the skills needed to source, analyze, interpret and visualize large data sets and build predictive models using the best practices from the field of data science.
Students from any major at St. Edward’s University can earn the certification while pursuing their undergraduate degree by taking a four-course sequence, followed by an internship.
Students who successfully complete the Data Analysis certification will have their academic transcripts annotated as having earned this certification — and be able to show future employers their expertise. They’ll graduate with:
- Experience sourcing, cleaning, preparing, analyzing, visualizing and making decisions using large datasets
- Experience working with datasets from multiple disciplines
- An ability to recommend business and scientific decisions based on analysis and modeling of data
- An ability to present these decisions to technical and non-technical audiences
- An understanding of the strengths and weaknesses of the most common machine-learning models
Complete the following general education courses:
- Computational Skills I or Computing Science Concepts I (3–4 hours)
- Applied Statistics, Biostatistics or Business Statistics (3 hours)
- Introduction to Data Analysis (3 hours)
- Introduction to Data Science (4 hours)
- Internship or upper-division course with comparable practicum experience (1–3 hours)
Meet the Faculty
Please contact Paul Savala, assistant professor of Mathematics, for more information.